Re: Oops, you missed some things!

Author:Steven Vore
Posted:9/1/2000; 1:27:48 PM
Topic:The Lie of "IP"

In the software support business, we run into this discussion a lot. If you call in and I spend two hours troubleshooting your problem, you pay for two hours of my time. When the next guy that calls has the same problem, I can solve it in ten minutes. Do I charge him for ten minutes of my time, or the two hours that it would have taken without your call?

I'd agree that it's not effort you're paying for, it's skilled and experienced labour and access to the resulting knowledge that my organization has been able to capture and share amongst its members.