Netizen Ethic in Action

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:9/5/2000; 8:46:20 AM
Topic:Netizen Ethic in Action

Seeing Dave's overnight poll wacked me over the head again with the power of public participation.

"Ask not what the Internet can do for you..." is one of those things lots of people talk about. It involves mushy stuff: giving of your precious time, investing passion into mature dialog, thinking deeply, and, most importantly, valuing the greater good. I think of this as the Netizen Ethic. It is powerful stuff. I suspect this ethic is something shared by many developers. I'm hoping we share it with the rest of the net.

The RSS thread is a great example of netizenship in action. The path to RSS TNG has been convoluted, awkward, occasionally frustrating and painful, alternately clear and muddy. But the process is very quick, public, rapidly explored many ideas, and is working to resolution. Progress depended on the participants sharing this common value, a netizen ethic.

I just wanted to point it out. Leadership by example can be hard. But it counts, it works, and makes a difference. Thanks for the reminder.

- phil [http://dijest.editthispage.com/]