Re: Data Captivity in WebApps

Author:Walter Ludwick
Posted:9/8/2000; 9:57:31 AM
Topic:Data Captivity in WebApps

Re: "When you download your site you get the whole user database, with everything but the passwords. "

Cool! Now i've got this "MySite.root "file, and i've converted the type and creator tags. I was even able to open the file in RadioUserland, so i can now see this three-column table with attributes "name", "value", and "kind". Only problem is, drilling down thru the rows of this table, i'm still not able to get at the values for attributes i expect to see associated with each record - like member profile, preferences (excepting password, of course), messages posted, useage stats. I also tried opening it in Excel, but of course it can't read the file without knowing some stuff about data definition (i.e. column delimiters, etc.).

If it seems that i'm trying to hack a proprietary file format, i'm certainly not. I really never expected to enjoy such access without buying a Frontier licence - but still, i'm left wondering: is that what i need to do now in order to get at this data in useable form? And if i do that, will i not find myself way in over my head? As i've said, i am no programmer, and have no desire to become one at this point in my life.

If these questions are too dumb for this forum, maybe someone could e-mail me, or give a number to call for support. Thanks again! |/|/ (wludwick@mail.walmar.com)