Re: Guido and Richard

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:9/8/2000; 4:25:48 PM
Topic:Guido and Richard

[Update: This post contained some painfully bad errors. I've removed the mistaken text and marked the spots with [snipped]. If you want the missing text, please send me e-mail. If you want accurate information, see Fredrik's post.

And no, there's not much left to this post after I removed the errors. Sorry about that.]

Original Post

All lawyers disagree. From what I hear, they think that this license cannot be enforced if that clause is removed.

My lawyer thinks otherwise. :-)

I'm going grossly oversimplify, and omit some moderately important details. This is not legal advice. I am not a lawyer, not do I play one on TV.

Choice of Forum

[snipped]

Why This Matters

Some third-party developers want to combine the Python code with GPL'd code. Both Guido and Stallman want to encourage this, and neither wants to create outages for those developers.

[snipped]

The Likely Outcome

[snipped]

As a Python developer, I'm hoping that the lawyers reach some sort of no-outage agreement. If they don't reach an agreement, then projects such as the Gnumeric spreadsheet will wind up using obsolete versions of Python.

And that would just suck. :-(

Cheers,
Eric

[Wow. That was kind of embarassing.]