Anti-Microsoft sentiment

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/15/2000; 12:07:54 PM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

David, now that I feel that I've tackled the What is Open Source question, I'm looking for the next challenge.

When you say: "I think anti-Microsoft sentiment is one of the few sentiments that nearly the entire computing industry agrees on" I'd like to double-click on this phrase: "anti-Microsoft sentiment". I'm not in interested in knowing why people have anti-Microsoft sentiment, I just wonder if it could be expressed in words, what is it that they would want Microsoft to do differently?

I myself have mixed feelings about Microsoft. Based on publicly available info, and tea-leave reading, most of the time they went against other products I think the Microsoft products were better in some meaningful way to users. I competed against Microsoft a couple of times, and always felt they were a lot more fair to me than my other larger competitors were. I wonder sometimes if the people who are "anti-Microsoft" understand how cut-throat the software business really is.

I just wonder what the substance behind anti-Microsoft sentiment is.