Re: expansionState

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/16/2000; 10:05:42 AM
Topic:Outline XML files need a name

Thanks for the comments Jim.

I don't know if it's Frontier-centric or not, or it may be just that we have an outliner, and that it would be simple in any outliner, just not simple in a dynamic application that's generating OPML output.

If I were writing a dynamic application I would just leave out altogether, or maybe just put a 1 in there, to indicate that the first level is to be expanded, and nothing more.

The feature is there primarily for remembering the state of the outline for a user who's editing it, or an author who wants to present the outline in a certain way when another outliner user opens it.

We could certainly add an attribute that duplicated the functionality, something like isExpanded would be parallel with the other "common attributes" that are explained in the spec.

This approach of course would add overhead to the file, a fair amount. And luckily it can be addressed later, when we have more of an installed base and more experience with how people are using the format.