Re: expansionState

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:9/16/2000; 12:10:40 PM
Topic:Outline XML files need a name

I don't know if it's Frontier-centric or not, or it may be just that we have an outliner, and that it would be simple in any outliner, just not simple in a dynamic application that's generating OPML output.

I totally agree, it's easy to serialize and deserialize the expansionState for array-based and object-graph based in-memory outline structures.

I hope you agree that making it simple for a "dynamic application that's generating OPML output" to present outlines smartly is going to be important to the nodeType/worldoutline vision.

IMHO it'd be important for the usability of a dynamic nodeType application to be present outlines with an intelligent initial expansion state.

This approach of course would add overhead to the file, a fair amount.

outline elements with attributes for use in a serious nodeType application are going to be pretty fat to begin with -- in that case an "isExpanded" attribute won't add too much overhead.

Hmm, to keep the overhead low you could make the name of the attribute really short, like "exp" or something. :-)

And luckily it can be addressed later, when we have more of an installed base and more experience with how people are using the format.

... and how people aren't using the format. Agreed, time will tell.

Jim