Re: Crossgain vs Lightsurf

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/22/2000; 1:10:55 PM
Topic:Crossgain vs Lightsurf

Ralph, it's an interesting question.

Adam wanted to meet with me to talk about how to create a community for their site and services. Now, I promised not to say what he does. But I gave him some advice. Start writing articles, one a week, about things he cares about.

I suggested he look at Dan Bricklin's weblog to get an idea of how Dan did it. I suggested that he start by telling a story that he's told 100 times. One he likes to tell. He has one about me asking Steve Jobs a question at the NeXT rollout, when he told me that story I said "Write that one first!"

They want to have an active community around their product. So this critique is the first part of that. I'll send Adam a pointer. I'm going to help him because I owe him the help, to balance the help he gave me a few years ago when he was at Microsoft, and most importantly, because he does great software.

Now Philippe is one of the masters of community. He used to personally lead the Borland forum on Compuserve. He's very good at communicating electronically. So it's no surprise that his site is clear, and fast, and personal.

BTW, Adam used to work for Philippe!