Gator: new marketing technique?

Author:Joshua Allen
Posted:9/26/2000; 2:08:56 AM
Topic:Gator: new marketing technique?

www.gator.com has a somewhat interesting tool that silently watches as you visit websites and automatically enters your passwords, etc. The password entry is a bit flaky and annoying, IMO. The really interesting thing, though, is the little side benefit it gives you. I recently went to www.cvs.com and was surprised when gator popped up a little window offering me a ten-dollar discount at planetrx.com! So, away from CVS I went! Gator has done the same for me with a number of other poular purchase categories too. One part of me says, "very clever, the jungle of capitalism mutates again!" and another part of me says, "Jeez, this is going to piss people off!"

Thoughts?