Re: Recent TV Programs

Author:Donald W. Larson
Posted:9/26/2000; 10:45:46 AM
Topic:Re: Recent TV Programs

Dave,

I watched the same two programs concerning the old debates and the dictatorships. It's great that producers take the opportunity to create shows like that.

I remember watching the Kennedy - Nixon Debates live at the time. Although I was only ten years old and didn't understand the issues, I remember thinking Kennedy was a man to respect. I remember John Kennedy's Inaugeration Speech live. His "Ask Not..." and "The torch has been passed to a new generation..." statements still affect me to this day.

Generally, I think debates are necessary and should include as many contenders as possible. I prefer the town hall meeting format to the other styles. The only change I would make is for the random drawing of the people who want to ask questions so that their selection is less scripted.

As for dictators, people find ways to route around them in one form or another. I'm impressed at what people can do for themselves in a clinch.

Don