Re: Cheney?

Author:Donald W. Larson
Posted:9/26/2000; 2:29:53 PM
Topic:Cheney?

How big do you think the foreign aid budget is? I'd suggest doing some research to find out. The size of the foreign aid budget is something most people are prone to vastly overestimating (and your list of priorities below suggests you have fallen into this trap.)

I knew it's not large enough to cover my ambitious goals. Whatever it is, it's better off being spent here instead of there; and, it's a great start at refocusing where our priorities should be.

Also, I'd like to you respond to the following argument "Drastically reducing the foreign aid budget is penny-wise, but pound-foolish. Foreign aid is an investment in the future of the rest of the world that pays dividends in greater future stability and more profitable opportunities for future trade."

I don't buy that point of view. First off, I'm not concerned with the stability of the world, only the stability of America. I think the rest of the world has enough competent people to feel the same way about their individual countries and act accordingly. You seem to imply that America knows best for everyone and needs to intervene when Americans feel uneasy about external events. I say change the channel and move on in life.

As for future trade, the US dollar is the most favored currency in the world. Everybody wants to trade with us. We're not in danger of losing out on trade unless you think we've got to "bribe" other countries for their business. If we strengthen the hopes and education of all our citizens we will be more than a match as an economic power. Refocusing inward is the key to our American future.

Don