Re: Movements to Die For

Author:Donald W. Larson

A smart leader knows about our penchant for meaning and movements. One of the most important things that John Kennedy did when president was give us a common vision that most of the nation could rally behind without controversy (a man on the moon, blah blah). Leaders today hang on to power by playing on the things about us that are different. When was the last grand unifying vision that a leader articulated that was able to give us collective purpose?

That's a very valid observation. I'm hard-pressed to think of any other "grand unifying vision" than Kennedy's was. We may not have another such opportunity for a long time, if ever. The world is so different now, too many people want their own dreams to be the world's dream. A "grand unifying vision" is not on the short list these days, imho.

Don