scriptingNews outline for 5/10/2001

Author:Dave Winer

Murphy-willing there will be a present under the Christmas tree tomorrow for current Frontier/Mac subscribers. We won't officially announce it until next week. Let's have fun!

According to Robert Scoble, the founder of the Microsoft Train Simulator fan site, "Union Pacific Railroad has declared that it will aggressively go after anyone who distributes trains with Union Pacific's trademarks for use with Microsoft's soon-to-be-released Train Simulator program. The railroad is concerned that people will learn to drive a train and then hop into a real one which might cause a major accident." This is not a joke.

In the true spirit of the Internet the fans have already taken matters into their own hands.

Miguel de Icaza: "A nice addition to the .NET framework would be some kind of balanced tree, b-tree or anything that looks like that for data structures."

Feed interview with de Icaza.

Time: "After the runaway success of his superslim titanium G4 Powerbook, it seems Jobs has finally figured out what the public wants in a laptop computer."

Eric Soroos: "The PicsPicker plugin automates some of the image management tasks that I find to be time consuming on a Manila site."

News.Com: The data center glut.

Beepcore.org is "your site for information about the Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP)."

Hack-the-Planet is doing a great job considering the price. ";->"

New candidate for the Scripting News motto: "I'll get snippety when I damned well please."

Snippety: "Made up of snippets."

Today's song: "One day you could be looking through an old book in rainy weather. You see a picture of her smiling at you when you were still together. You could be walking down the street and who should you chance to meet? But that same old smile you’ve been thinking of all day."

12/30/99: "Moonlight and love songs. Never out of date. Hearts full of passion, jealousy and hate."

Nublog: Weblogs for public relations.

Connotate: "World-class experts in data mining, artificial intelligence and mobile computing from Rutgers University, under an $8 million DARPA contract, developed Connotate's patent-pending core technology, XML-by-example™." US taxpayers paid for their patent? Outrageous.

Sjoerd Visscher continues to kick butt with XML-RPC.

Hey let's do another Scripting News dinner in Amsterdam. I'll be there May 25-27. Marc Canter will be there. I sent a note to Adam Curry, I bet he'll be there too. It's a short flight from London or Italy, Germany and Austria. Close to Belgium, not far from Poland and Ireland.

OK, should I also spend a day in London? Would there be enough interest in a Scripting News dinner on the 28th? I could possibly still change my travel plans.

Register: "While Microsoft pours buckets of vitriol over open source, some of its most distinguished former executives are backing Linux."

Glen Daniels speaks for me. (In pseudo-SOAP!)

Searching for biographical info on Craig Cline, I stumbled across this email Bill Gates sent to me re Java in 1997.

Speaking of Microsoft, this afternoon I'm meeting with people from their Mac development group to talk about SOAP on Macintosh. A little-known fact that we don't keep hidden, Mac runs SOAP, through Frontier and Radio. Our Mac software went through the interop testing process last month, along with our Windows software. This means it's possible to bridge any scriptable Mac app into a "web service."

Craig Cline: "A large part of the thrill of being an Open Source/Linux developer is in striking a blow against the empire. Which empire? Microsoft of course."

Last night I met with Craig Cline and Thad McIlroy from Seybold to talk about a "mega-summit" they want to do in San Francisco in September. As soon as I heard the term I wanted to do it. I love the term. It's not enough to be a summit, we gotta go all the way be mega about it. Right on.

So what do you discuss at a mega-summit at Seybold, and who do you invite? We put it aside for a while and ate our dinners, and caught up on what's going on, and eventually the conversation got around to the dot-com crash, and then to what's next. I said there has to be another revolution coming. When we get into these kinds of doldrums it creates space for something new. So there's the question we'll try to answer at the summit. What's the next revolution?

Now, that's a lofty topic, and it will be hard to keep the people we invite on-topic. And there's a big question about the format of the show. Part of me favors an empty stage, I roam the audience with a microphone, with famous people sprinkled throughout, never knowing when their turn is going to come. However, this probably won't work in this venue because the room at Moscone is large. I did one of these last year, about Napster, and it came off pretty well, but there were big gaps while I ran from one side of the room to the other. It was a good workout, but it probably would have worked better if I had stayed on stage.

So who should we invite? Who do you look to for thoughts on future revolutions in technology and publishing? (That's what Seybold is about.) So there's the question. Who would you like to hear from? There will be a website and white papers to go with this session. We talked about asking NPR to broadcast it. It's a good time to look for new revolutions. That's what we're going to do.