Re: .wsf still a mystery to me

Author:Brian V. Hughes
Posted:10/8/1998; 8:03:26 AM
Topic:.wsf still a mystery to me

The truly interesting thing, that it took me a while to realize, is that everything you can do in a .fcgi you can also do via .wsf. The only thing that you have to do differently is you must parse any POST information yourself. The standard recommendation is to handle the parsing of POST arguments in the sites firstfilter and place them in to an argTable sub-table of pageTable. If you want, you can write me privately and I'll supply you with the code that I use, which is nearly a direct copy of some code that Matt Neuburg posted to the frontier-users list about a month ago.

Once you know you realize you can access all of the fcgi parameters in your templates, filters, pages and tools scripts of your wsf web site, it becomes clear exactly how much you can do with this. Now, instead of having your cgis handle these massive amounts of text to hand back as the result, you can manage all of that through the website framework. And only have your tools scripts deal with the dynamic elements. It's easily an order of magnitude more efficient than the old cgi way (assuming one can quantify these things ;).

Anyway, that's probably enough for my first post to the discussion group.

-Hades