Problems with Lynx (was: Peppier)

Author:James Stansell
Posted:10/8/1998; 8:10:45 AM
Topic:Suggestion: Explore the Calendar

2) This test app does not work with certain browsers. In particular lynx. /discussionGroup/default is agressively cached by lynx and thus you are prompted to log in every time you try to read an article.

Hi Jim,

I'm using Lynx 2.8rel.2 and not seeing the problem you describe. Perhaps it was taken care of with the change to support MSIE/mac? Otherwise, which version of Lynx are you using?

I _am_ seeing the message index being truncated partway through, but I doubt that the problem is specific to Lynx.

There's two problems with the usernames on this BBS. One is specific to Lynx and the other is a design flaw. 1) Lynx doesn't save cookies to disk. So everytime I start a new session I have to look up my password again. 2) The passwords are stored in the clear in the cookie. This is the lazy method used by SlashDot, but it's a very flawed design. 3) Cookies are bad in general: they break caching, assume that you always use the same machine and are problematic in other ways. // -james.