Re: Re: MORE (was: Re: Demoing Nirvana)

Author:Paul Howson
Posted:10/14/1998; 5:22:27 PM
Topic:Suggestion: Explore the Calendar

Dave,

Your proposed freestanding outliner could be the missing-link authoring tool for SIMPLE xml authoring --- i.e. structured text with tags. Currently we're authoring web sites in xml but using Microsoft Word and BBEdit, and its very messy keeping track of tag matching, doing spell checks which ignore tags, etc. However its worth it for the power of being able to author at a structural level (using custom markup) and then translate into html pages inside Frontier (using our rule-based xml translation suite), since we can also translate for print publication (downloadable pdfs) from the same source. Microsoft Word (v5.1 on Mac still works great) has outlining which allows editing/authoring at the structural level and this is very useful. Problem is that it saves in its own format. A simple outlining editor which saved in xml format would be very useful. The secret is KEEP IT SIMPLE -- really. The current crop of "word processors" are far too complex in every way --- too big, too slow, too busy interfaces, too many features.

Paul Howson (phowson@flexi.net.au)