Re: MORE (was: Re: Demoing Nirvana)

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/14/1998; 7:54:59 AM
Topic:Suggestion: Explore the Calendar

The fact that you want a nice easy outliner is very good news to me, because that's what I want to make.

I don't want it to be shareware, I want it to be commercial-ware. Too many outliner vendors fell into the trap of believing that their products weren't worth very much money. We won't do that. We'll be able to deliver such a simple writing environment, that's very open and very group oriented, and there's a lot of value in that and we're not going to set up a diseconomic situation by giving people the software for not enough money to sustain a growing business.

Frankly, this belief that outliners are cheap has been what's kept me away from this market. Now I think that since all the remaining outliner vendors have gone away, I hope the outliner users realize that too-cheap software means no more updates.

This has worked out OK for MORE users, people are amazed that it *still* runs. But don't overlook the fact that it hasn't been updated in 10 years! It's totally missed the Internet and the web. And now as the loop is closing for me on this stuff, I realize how sorely missed a good net-aware outliner is.

About getting your hands on MORE, Symantec swears they still sell it. So call them up at 408-253-9600 and make them an offer. Tell them Dave sent ya. (I am not supporting it though!)

Dave