Re: Re: System-level XML

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:11/18/1998; 6:35:26 PM
Topic:First message

There is an XML parser for Windows, it's baked into MSIE 5.0b2, I'm not sure if you could call it "system level", but I'm sure at some point it will be callable as a COM component if it isn't already.

About Apple getting in the loop, I spoke with Steve Zellers today, and he's interested. Steve is on the Java team, I've known him for many years, and he's totally up to writing a shared library for expat.

I also emailed with the lead engineer for AppleScript, Rich Nygord, who I have also known for many years (he was at cc:mail, then Lotus) and he agreed that they should support XML.

Something interesting is happening, people I like are starting to show up at Apple! Amazing..

Also, to familiarize yourself with Microsoft's XML work, start by browsing their XML site:

http://www.microsoft.com/xml/

And then continue your browsing at W3C and count the Microsoft names on all the specs. They've usually got at least one or two people in every group.

http://www.w3.org/

This technique is called "swarming". ;->

Dave