Why I object to the AOL-Netscape-Sun deal...

Author:Jeff A. Campbell
Posted:11/27/1998; 1:03:18 PM
Topic:Anti-trust problem or opportunity?

I would tend to agree with those who are worried about letting the government interject - but this is a touchy matter. As much as government conspiracy theories abound, I don't feel that the corporate sector has much of a moral high ground in comparison. At least, not as represented by the likes of AOL and Microsoft.

On one hand, setting a precedent for the government's involvement in the tech' sector is a Very Bad Thing. Having had Microsoft push its hand to the point of govt. becoming involved is something that should have been avoided - and would have, if Microsoft were happy in a competition-filled marketspace.

However, I'm finding myself hard-pressed to think of a 'net controlled by these two forces. I envision the return to closed, proprietary standards. I can easily see AOL and Microsoft partnering to close it off to outside competitors. Neither company has created what could be called a 'stellar success' of an online community. Netscape, at least, started out with a positive start.

The moment that the 'net becomes like AOL is the moment I turn my computer off and start watching TV. That would be a great loss for such a promising frontier...