Re: Person of the Millenium: Jefferson?

Author:Brent Simmons
Posted:11/30/1998; 3:43:39 PM
Topic:Person of the Millenium?

Jefferson the slave-owner could not be Person of the Millennium. Jefferson the author of the Declaration of Independence could be, perhaps.

This is a general question, I think -- how many potential nominees are somewhat imperfect, or even terribly imperfect? Does this diminish their accomplishments? Can we criticize them for not doing more, for not more completely transcending their time and place? Can we or should we separate the greatness from the lowness?

I don't know. These are tough questions.