Re: Ctrl on Windows, Alt on Unix

Author:Nicholas Riley
Posted:11/30/1998; 3:45:44 PM
Topic:What if there were a third browser?

And there's nothing similar on Mac Netscape, at least in 4.0x. Same with bookmarks (I know the rationale for the latter about the number of menu items the Mac allows, although that's fixed in 8.5...) Mac MSIE 4 has a nicer history feature, that lets you drag to the desktop, resize columns, get info to see the visit dates, etc. My favorite history feature on ANY browser has to be Cyberdog - it does alphabetical by-name history, chronological history, or the best - hierarchical history in an outline so you can see where the pages you visited descend from. I'm trying to find a screenshot, but since Apple shut down the Web server I can't find one. I'll take a picture when I get home and post it, I guess.

Netscape's "Visit Count" is weird though! It says I've seen my Bookmarks page 33685554 times, and Slashdot 50331649 times. That's absurd (not to mention backwards - I visit my bookmarks page a lot more than Slashdot)! I don't think I've seen -any- page 30 or 50 million times. Must be an overflow somewhere. This is on Navigator 4.06 for IRIX, though I share the prefs with Linux as well.