Re: Person of the Millenium -- Criteria

Author:Ralph Risch
Posted:11/30/1998; 10:00:45 PM
Topic:Person of the Millenium?

Along those lines one of the major changes in world history was the discovery of the New World. It had negative implications for the cultures living here (and actually the Vikings were here first). But Columbus' discovery of the Americas led to worldwide commerce, expansion of the Spanish and British Empires (of which USA is one derivative) and brought new ideas (foods, etc.) to Europe.

The problem I see is that it's hard to give all that credit to Columbus. I would put him tops in the category of Adventurer, but I have to believe someone would have stumbled on the Americas if he hadn't.

Ralph