Re: Person of the Millenium -- Criteria

Author:Nick Sweeney
Posted:12/3/1998; 8:45:22 PM
Topic:Person of the Millenium?

Trouble with that, Dave, is that this has been the millenium of geographical and cultural colonisation, no matter how hard you look at it. Even British history in its modern form dates from the colonisation of 1066. Add to that Columbus, Marco Polo, the Pilgrims, Captain Cook...

We began this millenium in the Dark Ages. We come out of it with technologies beyond belief. And it's notable that most people's choices are children of the Renaissance. (Has anyone been mentioned from 1000-1400?) So I'd like to suggest one person who made the Renaissance, and its dissemination of knowledge, possible: Project Gutenberg is a fine acknowledgement to his legacy.