Re: Linux for Dummies?

Author:Henri Asseily
Posted:12/3/1998; 10:06:51 PM
Topic:Linux for Dummies?

Other tidbits: For quick docs on a command-line function, try --help

For example, "ls --help" That will show you that a really good use of ls is to do "ls -alF". Also as others pointed out, the man pages are very important. Finally I suggest ditching the GUI at the start. Don't be afraid of the command-line! Finally, I also suggest NOT using the machine at the console directly, but telnetting in from another box. It's easier, you can copy-paste without problems, and do whatever else you want to do.

Once you grasp it, you can't go back. Henri.