Re: Linux for Dummies?

Author:Claudio V. Peredo
Posted:12/3/1998; 9:34:51 PM
Topic:Linux for Dummies?

Jerry Peek, Tim O'Reilly and Mike Loukides' UNIX POWER TOOLS O'Reilly/Random House (I don't know about the second edition) is a very readable UNIX text. From basics to advanced topics. It is the first book with hypertext (links, I mean) integrated into its flow that I ever saw. Very readable and engaging. For LINUX programming I would recommend Begining Linux Programming, by Neil Matthew & Richard Stones (Wrox Press). You have a programmer's brain and I am sure you will like it. The examples work perfectly well under MachTen on a PPC (in case you start to miss your mac ;->). Once you start playing with Linux you will be amazed that such a power it's been given away for free.(on second thought you are doing the same with Frontier!). I would advice you to give your self a daily or, according to your schedule, perhaps a weekly project, and stick to it. For instance get cross plataform printing to work (check SAMBA[windows]http://lake.canberra.edu.au/pub/samba/samba.html and Netatalk[appletalk]http://wwwumich.edu/~rsug/netatalk. For two good books on Linux SystemAdm. check on amazona.com for the authors Hein, Jochen (Addison-Wesley) and in a second search Komarinski, Mark and Collett, Cary (Prentice Hall PTR). Enjoy!