Re: Linux for Dummies?

Author:Matthew Barger
Posted:12/4/1998; 5:10:20 AM
Topic:Linux for Dummies?

Brent Congrats on trying Linux. I decided to try Linux this summer because of the inhumane things Win95 was doing to my poor 486. [who wants to start PETOC: "People for the Ethical Treatment of Old Computers" with me? :)] Well, needless to say, Frontier is the only reason I use my Win95 partition now.

Everyone has given you some great start points so far, especially the Linux Documentation Project at http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/ .

Here are a few sites I find pivotal to my daily Linux needs:

http://www.slashdot.org Need that daily dose of /. as much as scripting news. Don't ask me how but Linux gets easier as you become more involved with the community; it must be a mystical thing!

http://www.linuxpower.org Cool new site with quick tutorials and interviews

http://themes.org Great place to customize the desktop. Everyone needs some playtime!

http://themes.org/joelinux Themes.org secret treasure. A site dedicated to other sites helping novice linux users. I learned to install my redHat 5.1 system from one of the sites listed here.

http://freshmeat.net A great software listing.

http://www.eunuchs.org/linux/TkApache/TkApache_content.html A TK front-end for Apache Configuration. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it's getting some great reviews. Also check out Michael's general Linux page (http://www.eunuchs.org/linux), he's got some cool quick tutorials of his own.

Good luck Brent.