Re: Person of the Millenium: Jefferson?

Author:Ian Beatty
Posted:12/4/1998; 8:54:07 AM
Topic:Person of the Millenium?

Perhaps not freeing his slaves was a good act, not a bad act. Consider: in that time and society, what would his former slaves have done if he'd suddenly said, "You're free, go out and live your own lives?" I doubt they'd have many opportunities to enjoy their freedom. Perhaps treating them with dignity and providing for them as well as possible was a kinder thing to do.

I don't know, I'm not a historian. Maybe he was a jerk to his slaves. I'm just leery about making strong moral judgments about someone without a better understanding of both the context in which they were acting and the prevailing perspective they inherited from their society.