Re: Linux for Dummies?

Author:Brent Simmons
Posted:12/4/1998; 11:14:13 AM
Topic:Linux for Dummies?

Thanks, everyone, for all the help. I'm getting a handle on Linux now.

I even went as far as to switch to AfterStep last night over KDE, but I switched back as AfterStep was just a little too different for me. So KDE it is, at least for now.

I'm browsing the file system, I learned about ls and cd, I can call up man pages, I found a text editor, I found the location of Apache's configuration file, I figured out how to set my video resolution. Looking good.

Next step is to figure out how to get the WebDAV module installed, but I bet it won't be so bad. I'm getting my sea legs.

First impressions of Linux? I can see how it makes a great server, but it has a ways to go before it's a user-friendly desktop OS. (That's not an original statement, I know.) Luckily, I already have two great desktop machines (Mac OS and Windows NT), and I want to use this machine as a server.

The machine is a Macintosh 8500, 132 MHz 604 processor, 64 MB RAM. It hasn't seemed so fast in a long time. I have to thank Linux for breathing new life into this old machine. It feels like a speed demon.

Question: how do I write and execute a simple Hello World Perl script?