Re: Zope vs. Frontier

Author:Ian Beatty
Posted:12/5/1998; 11:15:38 AM
Topic:Zope vs. Frontier

I use Frontier for creating/managing a static website, and I've been following the development of the various dynamic capabilities. I'm thinking that Frontier looks like a promising back end to a major web app I'll probably be starting in a year or less.

According to the Zope website, "Digital Creations supports Zope on a handful of Unix flavors including including Linux (the platform it was developed on) and Windows NT. It should run on Windows 95, Mac OS, and even Windows CE. Maybe someone will port it to the Pilot." So yes to Linux.

Although the website doesn't specifically discuss content management, it does refer to templates for HTML generation, an integrated object database, integrated webserver, web-based administration, and Python "scripting". Sound like Frontier? Unless I'm missing something major, it sounds like they've got all the pieces for a CMS, if someone writes the relevant scripts to tie it together.

Of course, having an "HTML template system" is not necessarily the same thing as having a *useful) HTML template system. Frontier has a large and growing library of scripts which make common functionalities trivial to implement... It's not just a framework, but a ready-to-go and customizable application. I keep seeing you do things with Nirvana, the discussion group, etc. and thinking "hey, I could use that for something!" That's why I was hoping someone with some acutal Zope experience, or at least more info, might be here to comment.

BTW, what do you mean by "a runtime environment on Linux to target"? I know what all the words mean, more or less, but the sentence doesn't quite compute to me.

-- Ian