Re: Runtime environment on Linux

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:12/5/1998; 1:27:01 PM
Topic:Zope vs. Frontier

Looking at this from the perspective of someone who wants to deliver dynamic Web sites created with Frontier using a Unix server, Frontier running on Unix wouldn't necessarily be what I want.

I love Frontier; heck, I originally wrote the Betty Web server. But On Unix I'd rather use something like Apache that has more developers and a tremendous amount of burn-in to serve my content.

Now that I've heard two people mention Wine, I should mention that as a Linux user I would categorically distrust any application that used a port library like Wine or Latitude. I have no knowledge about whether these libraries are any good or not, but that doesn't really matter. There's a "Unix way" to write applications, a "Mac way" and a "Windows way". Even though the Mac way IS better, I'd rather have my Linux apps be consistent among themselves than be consistent among platforms.