Dual CPU?! (was Re: New hardware)

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:12/9/1998; 1:35:59 PM
Topic:Technography

Really, a DUAL CPU box?

Eric Soroos (and others) have had problems with running Frontier on machines that are either dual-processor-capable, or actually have more than one processor installed.

If Frontier 5.1.5 will run solid on a dual processor machine, that will open up the possibility for me to put Frontier on our web server, which is a shiny new rack-mounted dual 450MHz Pentium II Compaq box! Vroooooom...

(BTW, searches take on average 1/8 as much time on that serverthan on our old server, a single-P133.)

I'd love to use Frontier as our search engine instead of [product name deleted], which indexes the whole file, template and everything, instead of (optionally) just the content, which effectively ruins the query results for many common words that are in our template.