Re: Thin Clients, Linux, and BeOS

Author:Adam Trachtenberg
Posted:12/12/1998; 11:24:14 AM
Topic:Thin Clients, Linux, and BeOS

Well, while I'm running MacOS and NT on my desktop, the two people in my room in my right are running Linux and would be glad to be able to dump most of the Windows boxes in our office and we know about Star Office.

But, since most of the people who would lose NT are non-technical editors, who use Word as their primary application, the only thing that really matters is the word processing component of StarOffice. And, since most of their day is spent exchanging stories with remote writers (who use Word), we would need a 100œonversion rate because we've generally deemed it unacceptable to "force" Linux on people when it would make the main part of their job harder. And if we wanted to transition the biz dev people to Linux, it would need to even be able to follow Word's complication contract revisions and version history feature. Is it that good?