Re: Criminal Sexuality

Author:Michael Krzyzek
Posted:12/15/1998; 10:16:56 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Why did Bill Clinton get elected? Because he is a good liar. Politics is like an ecosystem. Certain actions lead to survival, others lead to defeat. The unfortunate problem is that most people can't see, or maybe don't want to, what may be good in the long term. People want an easy answer. The American public wants someone who will say, convincingly, they can have their cake and eat it too

If a person in an election actually states what they believe to be the solution to a problem they will not get elected. Most solutions require some kind of sacrifice. People don't want to sacrifice. They want what is good for them tomorrow. Who cares what happens to the country next year, or god forbid, ten years down the road?

So let us take the case of the person who wants to do good but lies to get into office. They get into office. They try to make changes. But wait, the changes require their constituents to sacrifice something. Maybe it's slightly higher taxes for schools, or roads. The next election they are voted out because they said they could fix all the roads and lower taxes at the same time. The political ecosystem has weeded them out.

Finally we get to the liar who has no intention of doing anything he or she says. This is the perfect political animal. Say anything to get elected. Say and do anything to stay elected. This month vote to decrease taxes, next month vote to increase spending in their district. Oops had an affair, must use the spin doctors and lies to deflect attention. And while people are arguing over the scandal they forget about what the politician is doing in office. What a great opportunity for the politician. They can do anything because everybody is looking the other way. Eventually the scandals blow over and life is back to normal. If they don't blow over, the ineffectual liar is out of office and a new organism takes it's place.

The good liars win.

The sad fact is that the US Constitution requires an informed electorate. Not many people are willing to be informed. That takes effort. My hope is that this crisis will wake people up. I don't think it will but I have to hope. Some will argue that the country can't afford problems at this time, too much is going on. But something is always happening. There is never a good time for a crisis otherwise it wouldn't be a crisis. Perhaps it is happening because it is time for the US public to take responsibility for their actions. That is always what it comes down to, responsibility.

I realize this is a very cynical view. I challenge anyone who argues with my cynicism to watch political commercials from the last election. Note how many deal with the issues and character of the person they advertise. Pretty damn few. Mostly the slam the other person and say the our side is better. What would happen if they were required to only talk about themselves?

Just a thought.

I apologize for the length, I didn't realize I had so much to get off my chest. No matter what you think of my views, I hope you have a good day.

Michael