Re: Criminal Sexuality

Author:Rick Eames
Posted:12/15/1998; 10:26:12 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

I'm glad to see there are others like me who have been baffled by this entire episode. It's interesting. The obvious right thing for Clinton to do is resign, but he's not the type of guy who will put Country or Party above himself. He would never do what Newt just did. He can never read the writing on the wall.

The thing that has angered me more than anything in recent days is just how dumb Americans are. When they hold these polls asking people what they think about impeachment, Americans generally think: impeachment == removal from office. Not true. So yesterday the poll folks started to define what impeachment really meant and the numbers went up. Some polls are putting it at 50F The real signal to me is Tom Campbell. He is known for siding with Clinton and for thumbing his nose at the Republican party time and time again. Yet he has voted for impeachment. Good for him.

Those of you who disagree with this course of action should really step back and think about a few things:

1. Clinton had an entire year to own this problem. 2. Congress has been practically begging him to just come clean and admit his wrongdoing -- to give them a reason to not vote for impeachment. He has failed there too. 3. His own wife isn't out defending him right now. 4. Clinton puts Clinton first, Country second. If Clinton had any character at all, he'd resign and let the nation move on. He can repair his image later, much like Nixon did. He'll have a harder time if he gets dragged through the Senate trial. And the nation will suffer for it.

Stop thinking with your pocketbooks and start thinking with your head: this process sends a great message to future politicians and to our children -- you must own your mistakes and noone is above the law. Not even a very popular President.

Rick Eames