This is serious stuff

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/18/1998; 7:35:37 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Jason, sexual harassment is where this thread started, but I can't ignore what happened after that. Further, I think people should drop the partisan angle of the discussion, at least here. There are no members of Congress present, as far as I know, no representatives of either US political party.

I assume what we have in common is that many of us are voters and concerned citizens, with a stake in the outcome of this process. I want to learn from people, but I learn nothing when people shout over my head at other people who aren't here, or when they try to limit me to looking at a certain set of facts.

In my value system, perjury and sexual harassment are about at the same level of horrendousness, they are both matters of integrity and being responsible. Your word means something, as does your sexuality. When you lie after swearing to the tell the truth, or bribe someone else to service you sexually, these are about equally offensive.

On the other hand, I think the timing of the bombing of Iraq is a much more serious question. If it turned out that Clinton chose to start a war in order to impede the impeachment process, it's going to get a lot worse for him, and much heavier for the rest of us. It's so hard to imagine a president doing this, we depend on his or her integrity, but that's exactly the issue that's raised in perjury and obstruction charges.

Another point -- if this isn't fought in the Congress, under the terms of the Constitution, it is going to be fought in the streets. We're already fighting in the Middle East. This is serious stuff and getting more serious all the time.