Many Struggles - One Group

Author:Brian Livingston
Posted:12/22/1998; 7:31:52 PM
Topic:How are we doing?

I find today's messages inspiring. Two struggles intertwined.

First the political turmoil. As an outsider (I'm from Canada), I admire America. That the Democrats and Republicans are so similar is what I find remarkable, currently. With the same tactics and the same outrage on either side, its hard to pick the good guys. Only through patience, scrutiny, and a lot of not-so-common sense can an observer detect those who are choosing to act with respect and integrity. It's a process, not an event.

Which leads me to the cultural turmoil in this discussion group. This is an amazing group. And the struggle to build it maybe doesn't seem worth it some days. But look at the involvement, look at the passion, look at struggles that must be happening in the minds of people in order to write those messages. People are trying to build a better group. Over the coming holidays, take a look back - It's happening!

Again, a process, not an event.

All this surrounding a simple piece of software (OK, not so simple!) But a piece of software that is so much like those that use it - ambitious (to change the world for the better), intelligent (learns more ways to express itself every month), subtle (for the most part), gregarious (get's along well with others), and underrated (only it's best friends know it's true power).

Is it worth the struggle? Sure it is. All of the above.

Brian Livingston