Re: Mac Proxy/IP-sharing server?

Author:Bruce Hoult
Posted:12/30/1998; 10:25:00 AM
Topic:Mac Proxy/IP-sharing server?

>I guess you mean Vicom's Internet gateway

Right, though they're now called VicomSoft.

At Apple's WWDC in May, Vicom's proxy was providing the internet links for all the G3 All-In-One's (maybe 20 of them?), plus all the ethernet and localtalk connections that people could plug their laptop computers into. I think they had a full T1 going in there. It was *fast*.

I talked to the guy from Vicom and he showed me the Mac IIcx that it was running on.

I think a fair comparison is that Vicom is very professional, very polished, very mature and more expensive. IPNetRouter is cheaper and newer and when I bought it about six months ago still had a few little wrinkles. The author was very responsive to email and was squashing bugs pretty fast. He had one issue with OpenTransport's (lack of) user interface support for multiple simultaneous physical connections which he had to hack around a little. He did indicate that he'd been talking with Quinn about it and the next version of OT wouldn't require the hacking. I assume that means the verison in 8.5 but I haven't yet followed up on that status.