Re: Writing on a palmtop?

Author:Greg Harness
Posted:1/4/1999; 9:27:12 AM
Topic:Scripting News for PalmPilot users

The Palm III (and Pilots and other 3Com/US Robotics products) are not meant to replace a browser or any other piece of desktop software. They are a peripheral, a way to carry a bit of your data with you. Content-rich sites like many of the news pages are perfect fodder for reading via the Palm III. But when it comes time to, say, order a book from Amazon, the desktop is where one should be.

A threaded discussion like this one isn't going to work well on AvantGo. AvantGo allows a user to go n links deep, but doesn't differentiate between links - it just keeps going and going, following every single possibility. And for now the maximum it can hold is 256K, so if I ask for even one link deep from scripting.com I can't get a week's worth of links.

I really like the Scripting News page for AvantGo. It's one day's worth of news, it's concise, there are no frames to deal with, and it's very Palm friendly. Thanks Dave.