Re: Writing on a palmpilot?

Author:George Girton
Posted:1/4/1999; 9:38:36 AM
Topic:Scripting News for PalmPilot users

Well, a nice thing for me would be outlining. HandsHigh.com software has a great outliner on the PalmPilot but haven't completed their desktop outlining software companion. I'd be happy to have Frontier hotsynch to their ThoughtMill product, or some other Palmpilot app. I'd end up using both of them more.

I'd choose my desk computer over my palmpilot to write on, even though there's a dvorak-capable keyboard available for the palmpilot. But it's nice to have an outline along for the ride. OTOH I know Fredlet.com uses hers to write with.

AvantGo is great for those late sleepless nights. I can painstakingly read a long NYTimes story or Bob Metcalfe's Infoworld column on the palmpilot without getting out of bed. But it's not the most effective mode of information transfer, so I don't count on it. It's about 5 times faster just to read the NYTimes before going to bed. But the link doesn't go from the palm to the net. It happens when you sync: Avantgo automatically downloads from the net to your desktop computer, then from your desktop it sends down to the palmpilot. Then you browse the files locally. Maybe if you have a palmpilot modem and connect directly to the net you can browse directly, I don't know. If so, Ian Beatty's observation about the AvantGo browser perhaps lacking forms would apply.