Date formats

Author:matt webb
Posted:1/4/1999; 4:22:28 PM
Topic:1999's first test message

[I've not used this Discuss system before. Hi. This topic may have been mentioned before but I haven't seen it anywhere, so:]

A couple of days ago I had my first Y2K bug and my email client started filing my mail as if it was from the year '19. I've found a workaround now, and it seems my other software is compliant.

Webpages on the other hand... I know we're just all getting used to using 4 digit years, but please don't forget that we Brits (and perhaps others, I'm not sure) put the month and day digits the opposite way to the American format! To me, 1/4/99 says the 1st of April (until I think for 2 seconds).

It's not mission critical, just confusing. How about using 4/jan/1999 instead? This should be a web standard as much as any organisational or protocol one.

Cheers, Matt