Re: Palmtop to XML-RPC

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/5/1999; 11:47:51 AM
Topic:Scripting News for PalmPilot users

Brian:

The question of what tools people want to connect up to is for others to decide. I am not currently a palmtop user. But if I were, I'd want to just be able to jot down ideas and click on a button to get them into the flow of my CMS.

Re XML-RPC, as spec'd, the transport is HTTP, so yes, it is TCP-based. Basically, you open a stream, and put out a standard HTTP header and then a payload in XML format. The procedure call would take a set of parameters the include a username, password, subject, and the body of the message. We'd store it in the discussion group database, where other elements of the CMS can get at it.

All the technical info is at:

http://www.xmlrpc.com/

Dave