It's like standing in an ice cream parlour

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:1/6/1999; 4:38:19 PM
Topic:How Frontier Changed My Life

Bruce Said:

Will being coloured and curvy *stop* you from buying a machine? I don't think so, but if it helps induce others to buy a Mac then that's got to be good for the platform. I wouldn't have made them look the way they do myself, but it doesn't seem to have hurt iMac sales so what do I know?

Amen to that. Apple didn't sell 800,000 iMacs alone, doubling their market share in under 5 months, stirring up the whole industry and probably lots of others too, because people don't care about style.

Some people don't... but LOTS of people do, and it shows.

I like grape and tangerine... ooh, decisions decisions! It's like being at my favourite ice cream parlour. (Mmm.... ice cream...) Which do I pick?

I think that's the point -- agonizing over colour is a LOT more FUN and less stressful than agonizing over whether to buy a Dell or a Compaq because one has a Riva video card and the other has a Matrox.

Imagine how scary those kinds of decisions are for non-techie consumers who are scared they're throwing their money away for something they don't understand. People understand Cooooool.

Jobs said something like: People want to trust us to put whatever's best for them in the box, and to express themselves...

As much as I know I want a new G3 tower, those damn iMacs are so cool I'd hate to pass it by ;-) Grape or Bondi Blue??? AAHHHHHHHH!

It's fun to be a Mac user in the market for a new 'puter in '99.