Frontier 6 Outliner

Author:Michael Myers
Posted:1/8/1999; 9:56:38 AM
Topic:Frontier 6 Outliner

Dave, you've mentioned that the outliner in Frontier 6 will be improved. So far we know about the removal of the 256 character limit.

Will that apply to objects of scriptType, or just outlineType?

Perhaps that seems like a weird question. But removing the character limit gets you closer to a nice feature of perl and shell scripts: 'here documents'. You can embed multiline literal text in the script. Of course, an important aspect of here documents is variable substitution. Easy to do with perl and shell scripts because variable names contain a prefix. In Frontier, a here document wouldn't need a ending delimiter because it is implicit in the outline structure.

Perhaps very hard to do the way Frontier scripts are parsed by the application, but I thought I would comment anyway.

When you're building HTML, the here document concept is super convenient.