Staging Server

Author:Alan German
Posted:1/13/1999; 12:23:33 PM
Topic:Staging Server

I'm trying an interesting application out on a specific website configuration.

I have one copy of Frontier 5 in which I have rendered a website which is hosted on a web server running on another computer. I use FTP to move the files. The files all have .html, .gif and .jpg file extensions.

I've been experimenting with using Frontier's builtin server to act as a staging server for the real one. I'm also trying out wsf as a means for authors to have a web interface to some of their pages.

I was bitten today by a rather nasty situation that occurred. I had requested, via Frontier's wsf server, some pages that are normally statically rendered and uploaded to the server. Very cool! Looks like the "real thing."

Later in the morning I rendered a static page on this same website in Frontier and uploaded it to the web server. Unbeknownst to me, my earlier request of a page via wsf had changed the glossary entry for a page referenced in the one I rendered "normally". Consequently, the link in the page that was uploaded to the server contained a url to a .wsf file, which doesn't exist on this server. Ooops.

I know why this happened, but I'm not sure about the right approach to avoid it.

This same problem occurs if I attempt to "preview render" an article for an author: a glossary reference changes from .html to .wsf.

How can I keep the glossary operational but not monkey with those file extensions?

I can think of a couple of workarounds, but I wonder if there's a way to do this with just one website table.