Re: The downside of CPU serial numbers

Author:Kevin B. Newman
Posted:1/21/1999; 6:22:24 AM
Topic:The downside of CPU serial numbers

There are a number of concerns raised by having mandatory copy protection and serialized cpu's but I think we want a balance.

Neither the "Wild West" nor "1984". Authors/Artists/Developers need the choice to protect and sell their work, and the choice to give it away.

My understanding of the Intel proposal it is likely to cleave the Internet into two halves. The "commercial", where you identify yourself, and conduct business. And the "bazaar" of open source and the gift culture. This is my opt-out and if made illegal we will see underground activity in orders of magnitude greater than prohibition.