Re: Jini Jini Jini (Zzzzz?)

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/26/1999; 8:38:22 AM
Topic:Jini Jini Jini (Zzzzz?)

Sure the idea is exciting, but it seems a little weird to assume that the device has a Java Virtual Machine running on it. Wouldn't it be more fun if other programming environments could play here? Wouldn't you like to put Tcl on your kayak? How about Python? Oh I know they're doing emulators for many of these languages in Java, but who needs Java for that? Maybe Tcl isn't a legacy language?

I know I'd be happier with a different environment on the desktop, the honker-size server (it's nice to have one of those around for your workgroup) as well as for the wrist-top. Java's a cool language for sure, and some people I know even like to program in it (like Chuck) but it isn't all things for all people.