Re: Lightweight Distributed Objects (LDO); was Re: Encodings

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/30/1999; 9:36:36 AM
Topic:XML-RPC Spec Comments

XML-RPC is closer to traditional procedural RPCs and LDO is closer to distributed object systems) so it wasn't clear that there'd be interest in changing.

Actually XML-RPC started out as as a distributed objects protocol, but when we split off in 4/98, we took a subset and went with that first. Atkinson almost surely will want to add back the distributed objects. We'll call that XML-RPC 2.0.

I think Allaire is doing the same thing. The WDDX they envision is far richer than the one they're promoting now. But giving a large number of developers a chance to get started with something that's a no-brainer works best. We're in agreement on that, I think, but we've chosen different starting points.

Atkinson's spec is upward compatible with XML-RPC as it is currently spec'd. So there could be three flavors of HTTP-based distributed objects. I was hoping we could avoid that.