Re: Omitting type tags; was Re: New tweaks for XML-RPC?

Author:Harold Gilchrist
Posted:1/30/1999; 10:25:35 AM
Topic:New tweaks for XML-RPC?

The key point here is that an incoming CGI invocation doesn't have type info, so it'd get hard to map it to a XML-RPC that required same. I think that extending the reach of XML-RPC to the CGI syntax in this manner is quite interesting indeed. It allows an XML-RPC server to serve a much broader range of client engines than it could previously. You as Joe-web-app-developer just get that much more power by focussing your sever-side development efforts under a XML-RPC engine who can then handle the breadth of clients all automatically for you. Such engines are thus that much more useful in the world.

Just some thoughts....

Bob,

Adding to your thoughts on this subject....

While I was looking at the XML-RPC spec, I was starting to "turn it off in my mind" because of the limited reach it was causing itself by being so strict in communicating in both directions on the wire.

I think what is needed here is 2 modes of operation:

1) Synchronous - Where the conversation on the wire is XML in both directions and has strict type info, as the spec is now.

2) Asynchronous - Where the spec allows the server to use standard CGI methods like GET statements as well as less type info requirements for receiving.

Asynchronus mode should be the default and supported by all XML-RPC servers, and Synchronous mode should be optional. Included would be a way to bump up the conversation to Synchronous if the server supports it. Negotiations would be done using standard CGI methods.

Talking only for harry-web-app-developer, I would find it hard, next to impossible to support a Synchronous server on most of my present web server infrastructures now and probably for the next year or two.

The reason I can't support a Synchronous server is because "I" don't have complete control of how the webserver is configured, receives information and how and what libraries are configured. This is just a fact of life for me and others.

But the Asynchronous model brings me and others back into this conversation because it requires less and the infrastucture we have today can meet it's requirements.

Just my thoughts....