Archive of UserLand's first discussion group, started October 5, 1998.
New tweaks for XML-RPC?
Author: Dave Winer Posted: 1/29/1999; 7:21:43 AM Topic: New tweaks for XML-RPC? Msg #: 2561 Prev/Next: 2560 / 2562
I've been getting a steady stream of email on XML-RPC, this is great because it's getting the attention I hoped it would, and the questions/comments are coming from people who are really implementing it, not just coffee-housing.
I always encourage people to post public messages, but sometimes that doesn't work for them, so I'll post summaries of the messages on the DG when I can so others can be in the loop and comment. Today there are two ideas that I want to open up:
- Multiple requests per HTTP message. For an image processing app, a client wants to batch up 100 processing operations, ship them to the server and get back 100 responses.
- Leaving out the type info for elements of an array. In this application, an array contains 10000 elements. The overhead of
89when multiplied by 10000 is non-trivial.
In the first request, it's tricky, I'm not sure how to format it, but the request seems reasonable.
For the second request, I'd suggest sending an array of
s where you can omit the type tag, values that have no type default to string. Further, I think routers and modems do enough compression to not make this an issue, however there has been some private discussion that maybe XML-RPC should suggest that only four types be commonly supported, , , and and that all other types be expressed as . I find this very appealing, most of our apps only use these four types and the ones that don't could easily be converted to do so.
There are responses to this message:
- Re: New tweaks for XML-RPC?, Hannes Walln÷fer, 1/29/1999; 7:41:49 AM
- Re: New tweaks for XML-RPC?, Roberto Brega, 1/29/1999; 8:16:33 AM
- Re: New tweaks for XML-RPC?, Mark J. Gardner, 1/29/1999; 8:56:15 AM
- Re: New tweaks for XML-RPC?, Andrew Fitzhugh, 1/29/1999; 10:27:30 AM
- Omitting type tags; was Re: New tweaks for XML-RPC?, Bob Atkinson, 1/29/1999; 11:40:03 AM
- Re: New tweaks for XML-RPC?, Matthew Dornquast, 1/29/1999; 7:53:33 PM
This page was archived on 6/13/2001; 4:47:39 PM.
© Copyright 1998-2001 UserLand Software, Inc.