Re: Open source English dictionary?

Author:Adam Trachtenberg
Posted:2/1/1999; 11:55:40 AM
Topic:Open source English dictionary?

I want to put a plug in for Dict. I love it; in fact, I like it much more than BBEdit's spell checker, which is where I do much of my spell checking. (I want to write a BBEdit Plug-in to spell check words against a dict server.) The best part about dict is the ability to hook into multiple dictionaries, so it knows about both words found in Websters and the Free Online Dictionary of Compution. (Solves the array problem mentioned above.)

http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict2&Database=*&Query=Array

Only downside is, as Dave alluded to, there's no high quality RECENT dictionary available for free use. The version of Webster's is from 1913, so it's missing all sorts of words. Often, though, the more techie dictionaries has those words, so it's not a problem for most of my spelling needs. However, they've started putting together a more up-to-date dictionary called FILE.

http://www.dict.org/file.html